May is National Employee Health & Fitness Month! Diversified Group’s wellness consulting and services company, Corporate Fitness & Health (CF&H), celebrates employee health and fitness all year long. But, they want to encourage all organizations to use this month to show their employees how much they care about their well-being. With chronic illnesses (and the expensive medical claims that go with them) on the rise, employers have started to take it upon themselves to help encourage employees to focus on their health. However, employee wellness programs are not just about saving money on medical claims. It’s about taking care of the people you rely on for your business to be successful.
So, What Can You Do to Celebrate?
Here is a list of things you can do to encourage employee wellness at your organization:
- Provide employees with a company-wide walking break. Even just 20 minutes of walking can do wonders for the heart and the mind.
- Provide a healthy breakfast or luncheon. Many companies are quick to bring in pizza for their employee luncheons, but if you have been trying to educate employees on good nutrition, providing healthy sandwich and salad options sends a stronger message that you really believe in it. More and more places are now offering healthier catering options such as Subway, Panera, Cosi and B.GOOD (locations vary).
- Provide an onsite seminar or display. Give your employees a chance to learn something new about their health or an opportunity to practice some healthy behaviors. Corporate Fitness & Health can offer a variety of educational opportunities with topics ranging from exercise to stress to nutrition.
- Host an onsite blood pressure clinic. A simple blood pressure check takes less than 2 minutes, but it can potentially save a person’s life if they haven’t been to see their doctor in a few years.
- Kick off a wellness challenge. Sometimes a little competition goes a long way when it comes to motivating people to focus on their health. Challenges can cover a variety of health habits, such as walking or other exercise, fruit and veggie consumption, weight loss, hydration challenges and more.
And, don’t forget that May is also Mental Health Awareness month. So, it is also a great time to try offering meditation breaks. CF&H has skilled staff members who can lead guided meditation sessions and teach valuable breath-work techniques to help reduce stress.